Chocolate Gingerbread Muffins!
– 1 flax egg (1 TBSP ground flax, mixed with 3 TBSP warm water)
– 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
– 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 1/2 tsp dried ground ginger
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp ground cloves
– pinch of sea salt
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
– 1/3 cup maple syrup
– 1 TBSP Molasses
– 1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (How much you use will depend on type of gluten-free flour)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Make flax egg and set aside.
3. Spray a muffin tin with coconut oil or line with muffin liners.
4.In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and salt.
5. Warm up applesauce in microwave for 30 seconds (or on stovetop until warm but not scalding).
6. Stir in baking soda. Mixture should foam. If not, try again until it does.
7. In a separate bowl combine applesauce mixture, coconut oil, maple syrup, molasses 1/2 cup milk and flax egg until well-combined.
8. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet. Mixture will be thick but if too thick to stir add in another 1/4 cup of milk (this is due to the amount of xanthan gum in the flour which varies by brand)
9. Scoop batter into muffin cups until 3/4 full.
10. Bake for 15-18 minutes.
11. Muffins are ready when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
12. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days on counter or longer in fridge.